INTERVIEW: "I'd love to experience something different at some point" – Joe Scally opens door to Gladbach exit
| Photo by Leonhard Simon/Getty Images |
Borussia Mönchengladbach and United States defender Joe Scally has postponed a decision on the next step in his career until after this summer’s World Cup.
The 23-year-old full-back has spent the last five and a half years at Borussia-Park and is weighing up his options with just one year remaining on his contract.
After German outlet Rheinische Post recently reported that Scally is dreaming of a move to the English Premier League, the defender acknowledged his desire for a future change of surroundings during a virtual media roundtable on Tuesday.
“I've been here for a long time," Scally said when asked by Bulinews.com how he sees his future.
“I love the club, but it's no secret that I would love to experience something different at some point in my career. I think every player has their wishes and what they want to do.
“It will be an exciting summer with the World Cup, and that's where my focus is at now. And then we'll see after that,” added the defender, who is hopeful of getting called up to Mauricio Pochettino's United States squad.
“I have a great relationship with the coach (Pochettino, ed.). He pretty much just reiterates to be at your club, playing minutes. I've been playing every game. I think that's the main thing. I just keep doing that to put myself in the best possible way to be there at the World Cup and arrive at 100 percent,” Scally said.
At 23 years and 116 days, Scally became the youngest non-German player to reach 150 Bundesliga appearances when he featured in a 0-0 draw with VfL Wolfsburg last month.
He has been capped 24 times by the United States.
